[Museum Home Page]
. Click on thumbnail to select larger sized photo
- Pine-Strawberry Museum
The museum is located on Highway 87 in Pine, Arizona. Photo taken in 1999.
- The Museum Building History
Between the years 1917 and 1981, the Main Room in the Pine-Strawberry Museum served the Mormon community as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, or "the LDS Chapel." Between the early 1980s and the year 1990, the facility was used by the Pine Elementary School. In 1990, the museum was relocated to this building.
- The Museum Interior - Main Room
The ornate tin ceiling in the Main Room remains today exactly as it was in earlier days.
- Old Barber Chair
This barber chair was used from the late 1920s through the mid 1940s.
- World War II Uniforms.
This display honors our armed forces during the Second World War.
- LDS Chapel.
Some of the artifacts of the old chapel are displayed, including the pulpit and the old pump organ.
- Chapel pump organ
- Chapel Artifacts
Church pew and pump organ from the old LDS chapel.
- Archeological Exhibits
The Archeology Room contains pottery found during the Strawberry II excavation. Other displays feature Kachina dolls carved from Cottonwood root, and fossils and arrowheads found in the area.
- Pioneer Household Exhibit
Laundry room implements as it was in Pine and Strawberry before electricity arrived.
- Wash Tub
Copper wash tub with hand operated clothes wringer was typically used by the pioneer families before electricty arrived in Pine.
- Then Electricity Arrived.
A "modern" Matag washing machine was one of the first appliances purchaced when electricity arrived in the 1940s.
- Vintage Singer Sewing Machine
Isaac Singer was the father of the modern sewing machine. Treadle powered, belt powered, hand powered and eventually electric powered, the machines made Singer the foremost sewing machine company in the world. The inset image shows a Singer advertisement from about 1900 showing a similar model.
- Grinding Stones.
Early settlers uncovered many of these manos and metates while working their fields and gardens. A metate is a ground stone tool used by Native Americans for processing grain and seeds. The stone is rubbed back and forth over a mano.
- Wagon Wheels
A pair of 12-spoke wagonwheels. These are constructed with spokes and felloes of hardwood, but the hubs and rims are steel.
- Dining Room
The dining room table and chairs are from the 1930s. The cupboard, tableware and sewing machines were used by members of our founding families.
The bedroom furniture dates back to the late 1800s.
- History of Pine and Strawberry
The museum contains many items pertaining to the history of the early settlement of Pine and Strawberry. Included are photographs and portraits of the pioneers and texts containing the family histories of the founders of the community.
- Tools and Farm implements
Displays show saws, axes barbed wire and other tools found on the pioneer ranch.
- Tools and Farm implements
Additional tools and farm implements.
- Edison Standard Cylinder Phonograph.
Prices for the phonographs had significantly diminished from its early days of $150 (in 1891) down to $20 for this Standard model which was first introduced in 1898. Standard-sized cylinders, which tended to be 4.25" long and 2.1875" in diameter, were 50 cents each and typically played at 120 r.p.m. A variety of selections were featured on the cylinders, including marches, sentimental ballads, coon songs, hymns, comic monologues and descriptive specialities, which offered sound reenactments of events.
- Main Room
Another view of the main room and the ornate "Door to the Past" which was designed by Marvin Gardner, a blacksmith artist in Pine. The door is the portal to a room which features special exhibits of a temporary nature. For more information on the story of the door select "Door to the Past" from the Home Page menu, or click Door to the Past
- Special Exhibit Room
This room is used for special exhibits and displays that change from time-to-time. Shown here is a photo exhibit featuring local resident and photographer, Ed Toliver.
© 2009 - All images are the exclusive property of Pine-Strawberry Archeological and Historical Society and are protected under the United States
and International Copyright laws. The images may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted or manipulated without the written permission of PSAHS.